Friday, July 11, 2008

Greetings from Lupine Land

I've finally made it to Montana and moved the first load of stuff into the house. This is the first time I've been here early enough in the summer to see the lupine in full bloom. The woods behind the house are a solid carpet of lavender and green. The road on the way in is lined on both sides with lovely, fragrant lupine blossoms.

Last fall I put in a stone path to our door. This summer it is lined with wild roses.

The arrowleaf balsamroot is about half gone already, but there are still some lovely yellow blossoms here and there. This bunch is blooming at the door to the bathhouse.

Buckbrush, which I ordinarily think of as an annoying obstacle to trying to get around in the woods, is covered with white blooms right now as well, which only slightly makes up for its nuisance factor.


There is a mother robin who has made her nest on the window ledge of the snowmobile shed. It is right next to the driveway, so every time I drive in and out, she nervously flies away. Yesterday I took four trips to haul water which probably just about drove her to distraction.

The water tanks are full, the propane tanks are full (the two big ones weigh 170 pounds each when they are full which made getting them off the pickup truck and back to the house a little tricky), hot showers are available in the bathhouse and cold water is on tap in the kitchen sink.

The phone works perfectly, and the mobile broadband internet has a stronger signal here than it did when I tried it in our house in Boise.

I'm so glad to be here, I can't stop smiling.


1 comment:

North of Andorra said...

Linda, Sorry to leave you with so much stuff. It was unavoidable. We also had several lifetimes of stuff and too litle time. By the way, the snowmobile shed began life as our storage and cook shed when we lived in the tipi while building the cabin. After we moved into the cabin it was redundant, so I moved it by putting it on skids, and pulling it with the truck. It nearly fell over five times. After I moved it I put on cedar siding and a metal roof. Doug