Monday, January 12, 2009

The Big Thaw

As if the snow pack weren't low enough already, we are now in the middle of an extended warm period that began last Thursday and is predicted to last through next weekend at least. So far, it has been staying right near freezing, so when Livingston had rain, we had graupel, then snow. But today the sun is out and it is warm enough to melt the snow. Livingston is bare of snow already. Here's our deck, which is on the south side of the house.
The snow on the roof avalanches from time to time as it warms up, so we have to be careful not to walk right under the eaves. The roofs of the dormers are not as steep, so the snow there slides off slooowly instead of in one quick whoosh like the main roof. The overhanging snow and icicles that result are dramatic. Here is a view from of the dormer where my office is:
And here is the view out my office window:
When the overhanging snow sheets on the dormers slide too far for the snow to support itself, the whole thing breaks off and drops straight down onto the roof below, then slides off onto the deck. This makes a great noise and shakes the whole house. It's a little nerve-wracking.

We're spending the time in our usual pursuits. Tom has two computers set up now, and is working on both of them simultaneously, communicating with computers back at BSU.
From time to time he takes a break to split firewood.

I've been baking bread and cutting and hauling firewood. Next I plan to work some more on the propane heater in the bathhouse that has been giving us so much trouble.
I'm also spending a fair amount of time working with a new organization called Bozeman for Change that grew out of a "house meeting" organized through the Obama campaign network. We're trying to "be the change we seek." I'm also trying to set up a similar organization in Livingston.

Even with the big thaw, there is still a good cover of snow away from the south facing slopes. Note the well-shoveled path to the outhouse.

There is enough snow for snowmobiling to the car still when I need to go to town. And tonight we plan to go full-moon skiing. Actually, the full moon was last night, but it was too cloudy for the full moon to light up the woods. Here is a picture of what the moon will look like tonight (pretty close to full).
When the sky is clear, the full moon, reflected by the snow, makes such bright light that it is possible to ski without a headlamp and see perfectly where you are going.

The other thing I have been keeping busy with is knitting. Most nights are long and dark this time of year (it can't be a full moon all the time!) and I like to sit in my big leather recliner, or in one of the JFK rockers by the woodstove and knit. Mostly I knit baby clothes for my little great-nephew Lovell (you guessed it: this is just an excuse to include a baby picture). Here is a little romper I made for him:
Tom and I are both hoping for real winter to return soon. But in the meantime, it can't hurt to catch a few rays.

1 comment:

anita said...

You live on top of the WORLD! Can't wait to come see you next summer.