Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mud Season Escape

I left Montana on March 25th. The snow was melting out, but thanks to a last minute storm there was plenty of snow my last day to use the snowmobile to take everything to the truck for the trip. Once I had the truck loaded I left the snowmobile at the cabin (I emptied the gas tank and fogged the carburator so it won't be ruined by sitting all summer) and walked down the hill after turning off propane and water for the house. As spring came and more and more snow melted away, I was worried about getting out of there before it all turned to soup, but since I left the reports are that it has been snowing off and on. This week they are supposed to accumulate snow again! I hope it is all melted and dry by the time I go back. Doug Reid, who built the house, says that May 15th is the magic date before which it is not possible to get in. So that's what I'm aiming for.

Meanwhile, I'm having a great time on vacation. I arrived on Whidbey Island in time to turn the water on and clean out the spider webs before my sister Laurel arrived to visit. She stayed a week visiting me and my parents who live in Mukilteo. Here is a picture of the two of us on my deck on Whidbey:
My friend Anita also visited from her home on San Juan Island. We went shopping in Langley. This is a picture of a carving in a shop called Dancing Colors. The picture was taken by Anita Barreca, and is used without permission (sorry, Anita! I hope you understand - I just liked your picture). I'll go back to that shop soon and get the name of the artist who carved this. (4/30/09 - his name is Jerry Wennstrom and his website is http://www.handsofalchemy.com/
And finally, here are a couple of pictures of the inside of my little Whibey house. Every window, door and skylight looks out on dense cedar greenery so it feels a little like a tree house. It is not near the water, but it is tucked 'way back in the woods and is regularly visited by coyotes and owls and deer and raccoons and scads of bunnies. The island has several lovely little towns and lots of great beaches. I miss Montana, but this place has been home to me for so long I always love coming back. And it gives me a chance to visit Mom and Dad, which I also always enjoy.

This week I am spending in Richland, Washington visiting Tom for his birthday. We're staying at a place right on the Columbia River and I'm enjoying walking on the riverfront trail while Tom is at work. My camera has finally been sent in to the Pentax service department to get the lens cover repaired, so in the future my photos will not all have that mysterious black smudge in the lower right corner. But it means there are no pictures of the Columbia river or of the Tri-Cities. Oh, well, Tom will be here for a few years, so I'm sure I'll get a chance to take pictures on a future visit. Meanwhile, this blog will be on hold until the last part of May when I'm back in Montana and working on plumbing. See you then!

No comments: