I was so excited to be back in Montana and looking forward to driving right up to the cabin without having to transfer everything to a snowmobile. Alas, it wasn't to be. The road up Orea Creek was dry. The road up the steep hill to the turn-off was mostly dry - with the exception of a veritable river flowing across the road from the driveway of a guy named Karl whom we haven't yet met. It was amazing to see what looked like a cascade or waterfall where his road should be. But the Beastie forded Karl's river and forged on up the hill, made the turn to the part where the road was not plowed all winter, and found...snow drifts!
It was about 80 degrees F, a thunderstorm was brewing, and I was faced with a decision. Should I try to crash through the snow and make it home? Or should I park at the turn-off and haul my suitcase, computer case, knapsack, etc. the half mile to the house? I drove through the first drift all right, but then I decided that I shouldn't chance it. If there was snow, ice or mud on the "S curves" which are a couple of steep, sharp curves in the road, I might make it to the cabin, but I would never make it out again the next day. So discretion won the day and I parked the truck, loaded myself like a pack mule, and walked the road to see how bad it was. Most of the road was at least half melted out, but the lower curve of the S curves was still buried under ice and snow.
One good thing is that the water diversions that nephew Ian dug for us last fall are working perfectly. They are keeping our road from looking like Karl's waterfall. The water runs down the road a short way, then pours into one of Ian's diversion ditches and is whisked off the side into the woods. Below each diversion the road is perfectly dry. Between the snowbanks and the next diversion below them, the road is wet, slippery mud. But the water is draining off fast and should dry up quickly once the snow is gone. Thank you Ian!
I made a second trip back to the truck for the food that I had brought in a cooler from Whidbey. It was so warm I knew the ice wouldn't last all night. I left the tools and other things I had brought back in the truck for now. I can bring them in the next few times I go to town. And with any luck I'll be able to drive in by early next week. So May 15th wasn't the magic date after all. Well, it was close. And I have to admit, I'm glad to be here so early because otherwise I would have missed the very first spring wildflowers which are pushing up everywhere. Right now there are fields of glacier lilies nodding their yellow heads in the spring sunshine.
And small yellow violets are blooming right next to the house.
There are a few spring beauties blooming here and there as well.
These first flowers are small but amazingly hearty. Some of them are actually pushing through the edges of the snow drifts. They are so brave and beautiful I'm glad I got here early enough to see them. Balsamroot and pasque flowers are next - their leaves are already pushing up through the soil. And lupine leaves have started showing up as well, so they should start blooming soon. I can't wait for the show.
The house is all set and going again. The propane is back on; the refrigerator and hot water heater pilot lights are lit; the water is on again and the water tank for the kitchen sink is filled. The batteries are fully charged from all the sun and all is right in the world. Dorothy was right: there's no place like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment