The kitchen sink water came out of an old handpump that ran from a small electric pump that pumped water out of a large tank in the back yard (in the summer)

After:
The kitchen sink now runs right off the well year round!
Before:
There was a choice between a traditional outhouse (which I used when I had to pee)
or the end of the front deck (which Tom used when he had to pee)

or the composting toilet in the bathhouse (for more solid waste).
After:
There is a flush toilet in a bathroom right next to the bedroom!
Before:
The kitchen sink was used for washing hands and face, shaving, and brushing teeth

or waterless hand sanitizer gel was dispensed in the outhouse and by the composting toilet

After:
There is a functioning sink in the same bathroom as the flush toilet!
Just in time (well, almost) for the summer's first visitors. Only a few plumbing disasters along the way. More about that in the next post.
When I was a kid and our family would take road trips across the country, I learned that signs advertising "Modern Cabins" meant they had indoor plumbing right in the cabin. We kids all thought that was hilarious. Well, now my cabin is a Modern Cabin and I have a whole new appreciation for the concept.
The indoor bathroom itself isn't finished yet (still needs trim, paint, a door, etc) but with a bedspread hung over the door opening for privacy, it is functional. There still is no hot water, but just having running cold water and a flush toilet is a huge step.
I have the rest of the summer to finish the room, fix what remains to be fixed, insulate and bury the pipes and install the hot water heater.
1 comment:
I am curious about where exactly you placed that bathroom
Post a Comment