Sunday, August 23, 2009

Twice as Warm

Summer is back. The weather is hot (85 to 95 degrees F) and the sun shines all day. But that little bit of cold weather last week was enough warning for me. I have been dedicating myself to getting ready for winter.
I've been cutting up firewood all day every day. There are piles of wood everywhere. I haven't even begun splitting any of it yet.

My friends Margarita and Don have offered to come up and help me later this week. Since they are both in their late 6o's, I guess we will be practicing for the senior citizen wood chopping Olympics, if such an event is ever held.

As hot as it has been, running a chainsaw and wrestling large logs all day has meant I spend most of the day coated with sweat and sawdust and wood chips and bugs. Lovely, huh? There is a saying that "if you cut your own firewood, it warms you twice." But somehow, that first warming seems wasted in this weather.

Still, the sunshine is welcome. This has been such a rainy summer. It's been good for the grass and wildflowers, of course. The area that Randy dug up that was so bare and dry last summer is a lovely wild meadow this year. Unfortunately, the little Charley Brown Chrismas tree died. But everything else is thriving and looking lush and fertile.
Before
After
This is life the way I love to live it. Working outdoors until I am sweaty and exhausted, then a lovely shower and change into dress-up clothes and drive to town for a dinner party. Or relax with a quiet evening on the deck knitting a new winter hat while watching the mountains change colors as the sun sets. There is something absolutely satisfying about being able to provide heat for the winter just by expending effort out in the sunshine with the birds and chipmunks shouting encouragement. This is all the wealth I've ever dreamed of.

No comments: