
It is wonderful having Tom here. We've had a great holiday. I can't believe it's almost over. He (and Khufu) will leave this weekend - back to Richland and their bachelor life that consists, as far as I can tell, of work and more work. I, of course, will stay here and play and play.

We have skied together, hiked up the ridge scoping out good ski routes, zoomed around on the snowmobile together, cooked together, eaten out together, and snuggled in front of the fire together. In the last post I showed some interesting tracks in the snow. Here are the tracks of two odd creatures - homo snowmobilus and homo skii - in our back yard:

I baked cookies and distributed them to the neighbors again. Tom served as official taster and helped me dispose of those cookies that didn't turn out nice enough to give away. Tom also came with me to a Food Pantry Children's Christmas party where he gamely wore a Santa hat and handed out popcorn to the kids while I helped them with Christmas crafts. The party was held outdoors at one of Livingston's biggest old mansions, and the lights in the garden were lovely, but it was really too cold for the kids to have a good time. Still, we did our part to make it fun for them.

Tom moved the rest of the split firewood down to where I can bring it in and use it easily - one of those tasks that kept getting put off as I struggled to finish the plumbing and gas lines. He also cut up a bunch of branches and twigs for kindling and stove wood for the cookstove.

Together, we cleaned up and patched up the hole in the living room ceiling left over from the plumbing disasters during visiting season last summer. We beefed up the pipe insulation under the house a little more. What fun to work as a team again instead of doing it all myself!

The weather has been glorious - sunny and just below freezing. We have had only token new snow, but it has been gorgeous, light stuff that sparkles brilliantly in the sun. I have had a good time wandering around with my camera.

The moon has been half to three quarters full - enough to light up the woods and inspire nighttime rambles around the property. In the daytime the scenery is breathtakingly crisp.

Tomorrow the weather report says it will start snowing again. Good - we need it. Maybe we'll go skiing on New Year's day one last time before he leaves. Meanwhile, we're just enjoying being together and being home.
1 comment:
Post a Comment