Fortunately, the sun is at a low enough angle this time of year and the nights have been cold enough that even with the warm weather the snowmobile trail is still well covered. My neighbor Jeff is staying up here most of the time this winter and he rides his snowmobile out to work each day. With two of us riding on it, the trail is so well compacted that it will melt very slowly. So I have been able to enjoy the sunshine without fretting about mud.
Last week it was so warm I rode down to the car without a hat on. As I came roaring into the parking area with my hair flying wildly in the wind, my neighbor Roger was getting out of his car and he looked at me and said, "Have you ever read the book Women who Run with the Wolves? I said no, and he continued, " That's what you remind me of. You're the wildest woman I know." Flattered, I thanked him and laughed. Today, when I got in my truck to go to Bozeman, the book was sitting on my front seat. Roger left it there for me to read. I like this neighborhood.
Today winter came back. It snowed all day. There were accidents all over the freeway between here and Bozeman. The Bozeman food co-op had a fundraiser for the Livingston Food Pantry today, so a few of us went over there and hung around answering people's questions and taking donations. While I was sitting there, in walked some old friends of mine from Big Sky that I haven't seen since 1995: Viv Schaap and her daughter Nancy Norlander. Viv and her husband Bob owned Lone Mountain Ranch, where I worked. They are now retired and live in Bozeman. Nancy now lives in Livingston! She works at a guest ranch down in Paradise Valley. Old home week in Bozeman. Several other people I know from my Health Care Reform activism stopped by to say hello. The woman from the Food Pantry I was sitting with said, "I thought you just moved here last year. How do you know so many people?" I think it is just that the people I know all shop at the Co-op so I was bound to see them. But it sure made me feel like I've made a home here. Here's a picture of the co-op in the summertime.
I'm thrilled that it is supposed to snow all weekend. I can't wait to get out there and play.
No comments:
Post a Comment