First I delayed starting off a couple of days because a phone consultation with my neighbor Jeff on the 14th revealed that the road was still not passable (three foot snow drift at the turn off, huge mud pit in the middle of the steep part of the hill). Still, the weather was in the 70s and I knew it would clear up fast. Sure enough, I got the word on the 17th that Jeff had managed to drive to his house and that the weather was warm and sunny and the road was improving daily. Time for me to saddle up, I thought.
Then my truck, the valiant Wee Beastie, broke down mysteriously as I was running last minute errands on the island. I had it towed to a mechanic and after two days, got it back with word that it was nothing more than a blown fuse. So I was free to leave a few days late and a few dollars short.
I finally left on Thursday evening. The drive is much more pleasant broken up into two days, and I decided to spend a day with Tom in Richland, so it wasn't until Saturday that I finally headed down the last stretch home.
All that lovely sunshiny weather in the 70s had meanwhile been replaced by dark, heavy clouds and dropping mercury. Each mountain pass I crossed, there was more snow falling and wind howling. I went into Livingston and bought groceries before tackling the drive up the hill so that once I got home I wouldn't have to leave again for awhile.
As I drove up Orea Creek Road, the rain that had been falling in town turned to snow. By the time I got to the parking area at the bottom of our hill, the snow had coated all the trees and there was almost an inch on the ground. May 22nd and it felt like winter. I stopped and got out the tire chains. In the gathering dark and the blowing snow I crawled around on my hands and knees in the cold, slimy mud under the Beastie hooking up chains with numb hands. There was a small herd of deer watching curiously from the edge of the meadow. A few birds were chirping loudly through the storm. I was feeling grouchy about the whole thing, so instead of admiring their pluck, I muttered, "What the *#!%* are YOU chirping about?" When I spoke out loud it scared off the deer. Clearly, I was not yet into the proper state of mind for Montana yet.
Finally, with chains on all four wheels, the Beastie plunged up the hill, swerved and bucked through the mud pit, blasted through the few remaining snow banks and brought me home.
In the morning, the sun was out. By the time I got up (sleepyhead that I am) the snow was almost all melted away already.
No comments:
Post a Comment