The visitor parade has ended. The last visitors were a bright young couple from Boise named Jonathan and Jessica Henderson and their 9-week-old baby, Tyrus.

Jonathan was a student researcher who worked with me in the Atomic Force Microscopy lab at Boise State University. He graduated with a Bachelor's in Bio-Mechanical Engineering this spring. Jessica earned a Master's in English last fall and, of course, Tyrus joined their little family this summer. Jonathan was accepted into a Ph.D. program at Purdue, so these lifelong Boise residents loaded up a giant moving truck and headed east to Indiana. On their way I met them in West Yellowstone and we drove around the Park for a day in my little car. Tyrus slept through most of the tour. Here he is enjoying Norris geyser basin:

After the quick tour I returned them to their truck and they followed me home. They parked the truck at the bottom of the hill and loaded their luggage and their baby into the Little Car for the ride up the hill.

Tyrus seemed to enjoy the bouncing around on the way up the road. He is a great baby. Mellow and fairly quiet, he sleeps happily in the car. Any time he is cranky, they take him outdoors and he immediately stops fussing and starts looking around with interest. He's going to be an outdoor boy. It was really a treat to have a visit from these young friends.

Once the Hendersons headed off down the road again, I took a couple of days to rest up and enjoy the peace and quiet. I have gotten in the habit of hanging out on the front deck with a cup of tea to watch the daily afternoon thunderstorms. It will be hot and sunny all day, then suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, the wind will start tearing the trees apart while big dark clouds roll over the ridge. Crashing thunder, pelting torrents of rain and blinding flashes of lightning ensue. This all lasts about 20 minutes, then it all rolls on out over the prairie. After many of the wildest storms, the sun comes out, the birds start singing and rainbows appear. It is quite a show.


Now that the visiting season seems to have ended, I'm back to working on the house. I'm refinishing the logs, repainting the trim and the Adirondack chairs, sanding the deck railings, water sealing the decks, and building handrails for the back porch stairs. No chance to be bored around here!
1 comment:
I like the green adirondacks. I'm in a lull with my visitors, but more are due next week. Is it no rest for the weary or no rest for the wicked?
Post a Comment