
The advantage of this kind of spontaneous visit to the Park is that you can just pick one area and really hang out there for awhile. Most people visiting Yellowstone are doing one of two things: 1) Driving from amazing site to amazing sight, trying to get to all the highlights in one long drive with only short stops to walk the boardwalk and take pictures. or 2)focusing on some goal-oriented recreational activity like hiking a trail or fishing a river. But if you have the privilege of being able to visit whenever you want, and you only want to spend a few morning hours, you can just choose one amazing thermal feature, or one gorgeous waterfall, or one herd of bison, and just stay there for a few hours and see more than the poor, exhausted tourists.
I chose Mammoth Terrace because it is close and I wanted to get to know it again. I have loved it in the past when Canary Spring was bright yellow
and Minerva Terrace was a multi-colored mirror of flowing water.
But the last few times I'd been there, I learned that the water has moved, as it does, so that those familiar beauties were dry (although still beautiful in a new, all-white way) and there were new springs and terraces and flows. I wanted to see them and take enough time to get a feel for what has changed.I walked around the boardwalks for a couple of hours and joined the crowds of tourists gawking at the fabulous travertine formations.

Then I strolled on up into the hills where the wildflowers and trees and grass were stirred by the wind, and no engines could be heard nor bright colored tee shirts seen.
In the town of Mammoth, the "tame" resident elk were browsing on the lawn - a bachelor herd of young bulls with antlers in velvet, and a smaller group of cows with a few calves trotting along behind. Watching busloads of people surround each elk snapping pictures was entertaining all by itself.
Then I drove home, where I still had the rest of the day to do laundry, hike the ridge, and barbecue chicken for dinner. What a fine day.
1 comment:
Sigh.
Post a Comment