Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It just keeps going.....

After a week of snow, I'm beginning to think that this sneak preview is going to drag on right into the main feature. It's hard to remember that it is only the second week of October. Since last Wednesday when the first snow fell, it has snowed all but three days. On Monday, when the snow had accumulated over a foot deep and the weather report predicted nothing but more snow all week, I decided to move the Beastie out to winter pasture. This, of course, required chains on all four wheels and 4WD in compound low. It was a challenge, but I got through and moved the truck down to the winter parking area, then walked back up the hill. And it just kept snowing.

The next day the sun was out. There is nothing in this world as glorious as bright blue skies and sunshine sparkling on fresh snow. It makes my spirit soar.
The mountains were so crisp and clear they looked like they had moved nearer. It looked like I could reach out and touch them.
The snow on the roofs of both the house and the bathhouse melted and slid, and the snow on the ground (and road) shrank down to a few inches, but remained a solid covering.
I took advantage of the nice weather to start up the snowmobile and move it out of its summer storage spot. I changed the oil and lubricated the chain and now it's all ready to ride. Which is good, because today it is snowing again.
It is hard to believe that the last three years we've been able to drive to the house at Thanksgiving. It seems like winter has settled in for the duration and it is only October 7. I fully expect that we still have some warmer weather ahead, but the weather report says snow, snow, snow through the weekend at least. Last year it was 70 degrees on Halloween.

Well, if this is an indication that it will be a year of heavy snows and cold, I'll be glad to have them. If it is just an early season anomaly, that's fine, too. With Tom gone, I'm intent on getting everything prepared for winter so that everything that comes - cold, snow, wind - is just routine. Of course this early snow is making it much harder to get the last few things done. But I just keep plugging away at them, when I'm not wrestling with tire chains and snowmobiles, that is. Whatever else happens, I've got a huge pile of firewood and a full tank of propane. Let it snow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Linda,

Well here in Western Washington it still thinks it's summer but I hear rumors that we will get rain next week after the 12th. I love seeing the different views of your cabin and surroundings. It was so lovely when we were there and now it's lovely in a different way. So maybe you'll get your heavy snows this year with great sking right down your road!

Nancy

anita said...

Ditto to what Nancy said. It's so fun seeing the landscape in a different light and being able to say "I've been there!"