
Almost exactly a year ago the guy from the propane company came up and pressure tested all my propane pipes and hooked us up to the big propane tank instead of the portable cylinders. When he was doing that, he could not pressure test the house at the pressures they usually use because the house propane pipes were all semi-rigid copper with small needle valves for the only shut-offs. I had already replaced the copper in the bathhouse with black iron. While semi-rigid copper is allowed for propane, he strongly recommended that if I ever add any new appliances that I have a plumber come up and replace all the semi-rigid copper with black iron. Well, this year I have a new hot water heater I want to add. But between the snow and rain and massive mud there is no way a plumber would come up here. Besides, this remodel is my career these days, so I figured I'd do it myself. I have spent the last few weeks under the house with pipe wrenches and fittings and black iron pipes replacing the whole gas system. What a pain. I'm finally done so once again, a year after I first announced proudly that we have gas.... we have gas again!
Here's the new water heater.
The other big project that has kept me busy is replacing the heater in the bathhouse. All last winter I struggled to keep the bathhouse warm. Every time the wind blew the pilot would go out. And sometimes when the wind didn't blow it would go out anyway. I had to use a kerosene space heater for backup on really cold nights to keep the pipes from freezing. This fall I couldn't get the old heater to stay lit at all. So I finally got fed up and replaced it with a new one that was made in Argentina and works like a charm. We've had three or four ferocious windstorms in the last week and it just keeps burning merrily away. It also has a much better thermostat and a lower low setting which keeps the room at a steady 65 degrees. It will make this winter much easier than last.
Here's a picture of the new heater. As you can see, I've made so many changes in the bathhouse that I'm going to have to repaint to fill in where things I've replaced were against the wall when they painted it originally. But that can wait.
Besides the hot water heater and the bathhouse heater, I've given the generator a tune up and changed the oil to synthetic oil which makes it a little easier to start when it is below freezing.
And I've been knitting in the evenings after working on these projects all day. I've made socks and hats and mittens and now I'm working on a sweater. I plan to be warm and colorful all winter.
So I'm almost ready for winter. Which is a good thing because next week I'm leaving for Whidbey Island again (after a visit to Tom in Richland). When I come back in December I'm hoping that winter will be here for good and there will be enough snow for the snowmobile. I've done enough mudbogging the last few weeks to last me until next spring.
1 comment:
Linda,
I am so excited that I'll see you for lunch tomorrow. What a great treat! My computer crashed and I jsut got back to your blog and what a lot of work you did! I hope you stay snug and warm and enjoy the snow upon your return!
Nancy
Post a Comment