One of the many reasons I love having Livingston, Montana as my home town is that it is full of creative people "of a certain age" like me who share my politics and my love of costumes, not to mention my love of making a fool of myself in public. Yesterday was my 56th birthday, and I got to celebrate it with 25 or so of these people, dressed in costumes, singing Christmas carols re-written as anti-war protest songs. We were a flash mob, showing up at various locations in Bozeman unannounced to sing, recorded by video camera, planning to edit the video and post it on You Tube. This protest was intended to coordinate with a much more serious protest in Washington DC where veterans were planning to chain themselves to the White House fence in protest of the continuing violent occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan. 131 people were arrested in that protest yesterday. (see http://www.stopthesewars.org/ for more information)
Our more playful protest was planned by my friend Margarita, shown here handing out song sheets dressed in a quasi-biblical costume consisting of a bathrobe and a towel to go over her head. That's her husband Don to her right with the headband wearing a sign that says "Unemployed Shepard."
a Virgin Mary with a crocheted afghan over her head and a baby doll that stayed in its box so we could donate it to a children's gift drive afterward,
My friend Margie and I rode over to Bozeman together and dressed as angels.
We started out at the mall, but were kicked out of there rather quickly by the mall cop. Here he is escorting us out, while we continued singing. Then we went downtown and sang on various street corners (here I am on the corner by the courthouse, across the street from a large church)
After the protest, Margie, Margarita, Don and I went out to dinner at the 2nd Street Bistro in Livingston to celebrate my birthday. What a great day I had. In spite of the extra aches and pains, I don't really mind growing older as long as I don't have to grow up.
No comments:
Post a Comment