
The same storm hit Montana on Thanksgiving day bringing huge winds and lots of drifting snow. The drifts were so big that clearing them required more than mere snowplows. Apparently, here in Park county the county road crews did not get some of the drifts cleared for a week and many of my friends in Paradise Valley were snowed in. Now they all envy my snowmobile!

Orea Creek Road, the road we use to get to Tipsue Road where we live, was apparently one of the very first to be plowed out, probably because most of it is protected from the high winds, so the drifts weren't as bad. By the time I got here on December 6, it was an easy drive on compact snow. Of course, my snowmobile was still up at the cabin since it had been clear and warm when I left, so when I arrived at Tipsue Road, I got to hike up the hill in the dark. The huffing and puffing I did hauling myself up the hill after a month at sea level was humbling. But this year there was no drama. No crashed cars or injured neighbors to rescue. No deep-freeze in the house, which was a relatively toasty 33 degrees when I got home. Everything went well - warming the house, turning on the propane, lighting the refrigerator and the heater in the bathhouse, turning on the water, etc. The snowmobile fired right up and I made a trip down to get my luggage and other things I'd brought back.
I seem to have arrived home just in time for a big thaw. The temperatures have been above freezing every day, although we have had a little more snow at night. The snow load on the roof of the cabin has been sliding off slowly. The sheets of snow hanging off the dormers are really impressive.
Christmas baking, skiing and visiting friends are my plans for the next few weeks. I love being home, snug in my hermit hole, happy to watch winter unfold.
No comments:
Post a Comment